Rainbow

I’ve said this a zillion times and I’ll say it once more… if people could be denoted by colors in life, Basma would have been my rainbow. She has added every color to my life; the brightest for all my happiness, the deepest for all my other emotions, the coolest for all the pleasures and the hottest for all the fun.

Before she was born Ma and I had a conversation one afternoon before going to sleep. A general discussion to what I would like a baby brother or a baby sister and don’t know why but I chose a baby brother. I wanted a baby brother; but mom explained to me of what sisters could actually be. They could become your playmates, your confidantes, they become your secret keepers, they become your best friends and then I began to hope for a sister. I won’t ever forget the smile Ma gave me when I told her I’ve met Basma for the first time. I don’t even remember the emotions I felt when she was born but just seeing her there made me an older sister, responsible for her. Maybe that was the best gift Ma ever gave me; a doll I will remain responsible for forever, who grows older with me and who loves me back.

I’m glad Ma changed my mind that afternoon. Coz I believe had I wished for a brother and that wish had come true. I’d have had a brother who in my troubled times would put his arms around me and would have told me not to worry coz he’s there to take care of things, making me love him as much yes but also making me dependant on him. I’m satisfied instead that I got Basma… someone who puts her arms around me in my times of trouble and tells me ‘Come on Ash you can do it!’, she believes in me and reminds me to believe in myself, something that I often forget. There isn’t anything she thinks I won’t get thru and her belief in me is enough fuel to head to space. Most importantly however is that she’s there right by my side to see me through.

Growing up with her however was not as easy as Ma had explained, in her words Basma would become my buddy the day she started walking and talking. I was however not ready for the change that she brought about my life. For one I was not ready to share my parents yet, then their attention, then practically every thing I owned had a partner! Really it was very annoying to see my favorite toys come to pieces in front of me. I had the worst tantrums then and she put up with all that.

It took me years to realize Basma’s true worth. Today I know what she is to me. When I want to be left alone she doesn’t pester me with questions. More than my words she understands the silence, when I want a caring hand she gives me hers. She can become motherly strict at times particularly when it has something to do with work, then sometimes she becomes the cranky kid she was suppose to be and when I don’t want to talk but want to be heard, she’ll but her fingers thru my hair and massage me to sleep… after that I don’t even want to hear she loves me coz I know she does and she cares a lot more.

I don’t want to make the same mistake I made with mom… I don’t want to leave things unsaid what are obvious; instead I’ll let Basma know today, you are the most important person of my life and I love you so much that words are not enough. I can do anything for you…but that does not mean I’m getting you an Ipod yet!

You color all the grey in my life… love you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What would Asma Siddiqui like for her birthday this year (2018)?

Sister at Distance

Cafe Mist & Gelato Affairs